At the very summit of Sutvid Hill are the foundations of the Church of St Vitus, located at a pre-historical site. In the vicinity of Bluesun Hotel Neptun*** is St George’s Church, built on the foundations ofa Roman 'villa rustica' dating from the 2nd century AD. The Church was built in 1311 and has been preserved to this day as a Romanesque-Gothic one-nave building with a semi-round apse and painted memorial crosses inside. Tučepi was first mentioned in the Charter of Kreševo in 1434. The document is in Croatian, written with Bosnian cyrillic script. From the late 15th to the late 17th century, this region was under Otoman rule, with the Venetians taking over in the 18th. Even during this time, the local population participated in the Venetian-Turkish conflicts, due to the town’s specific position on the border with the Otoman Empire. Three defence towers dating from the 18th century have been preserved at the foot of the Biokovo Mountain, - Šarić Tower, Bušelić Tower and Lalić Tower, located in the eponymous villages that served as a defence from the Turkish invasions. In these difficult times, the inhabitants of Tučepi managed to erect St Catherine’s Church in 1541 above the Šarić Houses, with a Romanesque transenna on the western facade, while a chapel with the same name was subsequently built next to the church. The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was built in 1703 as a one-nave building and bears all the characteristics of the local Dalmatian Baroque style. The Church of St Roch in Upper Tučepi built in 1730. The Church of St Anthony of Padua was built in 1898. This colossal building that dominates the skyline of Upper Tučepi was built in the Neoclassical style containing a marble interior and Baroque altars that were transferred from the old parish church. Three waterfront Baroque villas dating back to the 18th century have been preserved in Tučepi and they were built by wealthy members of the Grubišić, Ivanišević and Kačić families, who all belonged to the nobility.. The villa belonging to the abbot Klement Grubišić is the most impressive of them, and is the location today of Bluesun Hotel Kaštelet****. The Grubišić family also built St Michael’s Church in the village of Podpeć. Father Klement was mentioned by Alberto Fortis in his Journey through Dalmatia as a respectable intellectual. Father Klement, who had many interests and areas of expertise, and his villa can be considered the forerunners of modern Tučepi. Many local and foreign distinguished men visited the villa of the learned and hospitable father Klement, using their stay to learn about Tučepi, then spreading their knowledge and impressions throughout the world. Trips to surroundings of Tučepi Most of the day trips from Tučepi to other places in Dalmatia offer the opportunity to explore the region more widely. The trips range from the heart of Dalmatia, Split, with its Roman and medieval core built around the palace of the Roman Emperor Diocletian, to world-famous Dubrovnik with its ancient walls and republic heritage, as well as the islands of Brač, Hvar and Korčula, the centres of literacy and culture on the Adriatic Sea. Makarska, the centre of the Riviera and coastal region, is always a good choice because of its beautiful riva (waterfront promenade), its typically narrow, cobble-stone Dalmatian streets (“kala”), city square and St Mark’s Cathedral. Close to the main square, is a Franciscan convent with a rich mallacology collection from various parts of the world. Many will be impressed by the magnificent combination of the sea and the giant Biokovo Mountain that seems to reach closer to the sky with each new look. Day fish picnics complement the trips to Omiš and Radmanove mlinice (Radman’s Mills), picturesque places on the Cetina River, which offer another opportunity to enjoy the unforgettable beauty of region’s natural beauty and culinary delights. An exceptional cross-over between Mediterranean and oriental culture can be seen in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The typical heritage of the Dalmatian hinterland can be explored in Imotski, located above the famous Blue and Red Lakes. In the immediate vicinity of Makarska is Vepric, the famous Marian shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, built in a cave similar to the one in Lourdes. Međugorje, a famous pilgrimage site is also located near Tučepi. Nature lovers and those who like adrenalin and adventure can join in one of the organised trips to the Biokovo Mountain and Nature Park. We warmly recommend a trip to Biokovo Nature Park! Biokovo, covering a surface of 19,550 hectares, was declared a nature park in 1981 due to its extremely valuable geo-morphological shapes, flora and fauna, and natural beauty. Variable heights and conditions have produced diverse vegetation that ranges from Mediterranean to Alpine. The most famous endemic species is the Edraianthus pumilio – the Biokovo Bellflower. The mountain is home to rare species in danger of becoming extinct, such as the golden eagle and griffon vulture, wolf, wild boar, chamois and mouflon. Various forms of karst, ranging from grikes, caves, pits only a few hundred metres deep, to karst valleys and sinkholes where the famous Biokovo potato is still grown. The potato is a true delicacy in which you can enjoy if you visit this mountain near the sea which offers plenty of activities for an active vacation. An asphalt road leads to the peak of St George (1762 m), passing by the remains of former settlements and beautiful belvederes offering views of Split, Omiš, Neretva, the islands of Brač, Hvar, Korčula, Vis and Mljet, the Pelješac Peninsula, Imotski and Vrgorac, and on a clear day, the view even extends as far as Italy. Biokovo Nature Park includes the Kotišina Botanical Garden located above the eponymous village at the foot of the Biokovo Mountain, 3 km away from Makarska, where you can learn more about hundreds of plant species that grow on Biokovo.